Biography of 2face idibia
Innocent Ujah Idibia (born in Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria), or better known by his stage name 2Face Idibia, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, actor and record producer. He was a member of the defunct R&B/hip hop group Plantashun Boyz.
Early life2Face Idibia was born Innocent Ujah Idibia in Jos, Nigeria. He is from the Okpokwu local government area and from the Idoma ethnic group in the southern part of Benue State, in central Nigeria. He attended Mount Saint Gabriel’s Secondary School in Makurdi, Benue State. He schooled briefly in the Institute of Management & Technology, Enugu (IMT), where he did his preliminary National Diploma course in business administration and management. While attending IMT he performed at school organized shows and parties, as well as other regional schools such as the University of Nigeria and Enugu State University of Science & Technology. He would not graduate college.
CareerWhile attending IMT, 2face Idibia started composing and singing jingles at the GB Fan Club at Enugu State Broadcasting Services (ESBS) in 1996. He would move to Lagos and started performing with fellow rapper BlackFace, forming the Plantashun Boyz. He had met BlackFace while attending IMT. He started calling himself “2Face” in 1996. He cited the reasoning as “trying to demarcate my personal life with my business life.
In 2006, his song “African Queen” was used in the soundtrack for the film Phat Girlz, which was released internationally. The Plantashun Boyz came together briefly in 2007 to record an album which they titled Plan B. He also released a promotion album in 2008 releasing the single, “Enter the Place”. Problems with album distribution in 2007 caused as shift of the release date of the album from 2008 to 2009. Tuface released two singles from the international version of his Unstoppable album and is the first Nigerian artist to have an appropriately priced international album.
2face Idibia released The Unstoppable International Edition album in 2010. For the album, he won two awards at the 2010 SoundCity Music Video Awards. He also won the Channel O Music Video Awards Best African Western award and the MTV Africa Music Awards for Best Male and Artist of the year. Upon leaving the music label Kennis Music, he set up his own record label known as Hypertek Entertainment. He is part of the Sony All African One8 Project alongside seven other musicians across Africa recording a single with R.Kelly and Prince Lee titled “Hands Across the World”. He is the first non-Liberian to become an honorary member of the Liberian music society in recognition for his outstanding contribution to the growth of music in Africa.
Personal life2Face is known for his narrow escapes from death. He had a close shave with death three times, at different locations and times, including gun shots.
On May 2, 2012, 2Face Idibia and Annie Macaulay, a Nollywood actress, got married in Lagos, in a private ceremony. 2face announced his marriage via his twitter page. He has a child with Annie Macaulay, and five children from previous relations.
Philanthropy2Face has established an NGO called 2Face Idibia Reach-Out Foundation. which motto is service to humanity. In 2009, 2Face was appointed as ambassador the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control. He released a song “Man Unkind” in order to raise awareness on the menace of fake and sub-standard food and drug products in Nigeria. In 2009, he was presented with the prestigious International Youth Ambassador for Peace Summit and the Nigeria Youth Merit Award by the National Youth Council of Nigeria in recognition of his contributions to youth development in Nigeria.
Discography2004: Face 2 Face2006: Grass 2 Grace2008: The Unstoppable2010: The Unstoppable International Edition2012: Away & Beyond AwardsWon
- Vocalist 2002 Affinity AwardsMusic of the Year 2004 Excellence Recognition AwardsOutstanding Contribution to the Entertainment Industry 2004 Award for ExcellenceBest Male Vocalist 2004 A.M.E.N AwardsSong of the Year 2004 A.M.E.N AwardsBest New Act Male 2004 A.M.E.N AwardsBest Video 2004 A.M.E.N AwardsSong of the year for “African Queen” 2004 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New YorkBest Album of the year 2004 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New YorkBest Hip Hop and R&B Artiste 2004 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New YorkMusician of the Year 2004 City People Awards for ExcellenceBest Male Video 2005 Channel O Music Video AwardsBest African Video of the year 2005 Channel O Music Video AwardsBest African Act 2005 Channel O Music Video AwardsBest African Act 2005 MTV Europe Music AwardsBest African Act 2005 Kora AwardsBest Musical Artiste 2005 Afro Nollywood AwardsAfrican Song of The Year (Non Ghanaian) 2005 Ghana Music AwardsSpecial Recognition Award 2005 Hip Hop World AwardsThe Outstanding Musician of the Year 2005 Black Heritage Awards for ExcellenceBest Song of The Year 2005 G.C.E International AwardsMusician of The Year 2006 The Future AwardsAfrica Break Through Artist of the Year 2006 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New YorkBest Album of the Year 2007 Nigeria Entertainment Awards New YorkBest African Act 2007 MOBO AwardsSong of the Decade 2007 Nigerian Music AwardsBest R’n’B / Pop album 2008 Hip-Hop World AwardsBest African Act 2008 Australian African AwardsBest selling Nigerian Artist 2008 World Music Awards, Monaco, SpainBest R&B MTV Africa Music Awards 2009Artist of the Year MTV Africa Music Awards 2010Best Male MTV Africa Music Awards 2010Most Gifted West African Video 2010 Channel O Music Video AwardsBest Pop Video for “Implication” 2010 SoundCity AwardsBest Western 2010 SoundCity AwardsNew Champions For An Enduring Culture 2011 16th edition of the Annual THISDAY Awards presented by former U.S. President Bill Clinton and Governor Arnold SchwarzeneggerBest International Act: Africa BET Awards of 2011Album of the year 2011 Hip-Hop World Awards – “The Headies”Artist of the year 2011 Hip-Hop World Awards – “The Headies”Best R’n’B / Pop album 2011 Hip-Hop World Awards – “The Headies”
- Best African Act 2005
- MOBOArtist of the Year 2009
- MTV Africa Music Awards
- Best Male 2009
- MTV Africa Music AwardsBest Video for “Enter the Place” 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards
- Most Gifted African West Video for “Only Me” 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards
- Most Gifted Video of the Year for “Only Me” 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards